For many women the word fashion often brings another word to mind; expensive. With increasing cost of clothes and changing fashion trends, it can be hard to want to keep up with the latest and greatest in women’s fashion. Instead of getting discouraged though, it is best to just find ways to adjust your wardrobe to your wallet. If you want to be a fashionista on a modest salary, check out these 5 tips to dress fashionable on a budget.
1. Start Up-Cycling – Women’s fashion should be trendy, but that does not mean it has to be brand new. Frequently women’s clothes go in and out of style, so many women donate or sell their clothes to resale shops. Simply shop at thrift stores for past trends in women’s fashion, and up-cycle (converting old clothes or materials into something new) them into something fashionable and current.
2. Buy Quality, Not Cheap – Men often get teased for how infrequently they go shopping for clothes. When you walk into a men’s clothing store, you will notice higher prices and better quality, which is why they do not have to shop as often as women do. However, the same thought should be applied when shopping for women’s fashion. Spending more money on quality essentials, like a classic pair of black pants or blue jeans, will actually save you money down the road because you will not need to replace them so soon.
3. Sign Up for Your Favorite Store’s Email List – Even though stores can go overboard with emails, it is often the best way to know who is having a sale and score some extra coupons that are not always provided to in-store customers. Waiting until you see a sale or coupons for women’s fashion and accessories is a great way to get more for your money.
4. Make Your Own Accessories – I’m surprised how some stores overcharge for simple accessories. Instead of dropping lots of money on accessories you may only use a few times, shop at your local crafts store and get materials for jewelry and even belts and hair accessories. You will spend less on more color choices and often find books with step by step instructions on how to make whatever you want.
5. Get Brand Names for Off Brand Prices – There are so many retail stores that offer popular brand name clothing and accessories for heavily discounted prices that it would be silly to buy from them from the higher end stores. Even popular names like Coach have outlet stores where they offer much lower prices. Shop around and never by anything for the actual retail price, no matter how much you want it.